Friday, April 13, 2007

I have a box sitting high on a shelf in the back utility room. It contains old love letters and memoribilia. Things like ticket stubs, a few photos and other odds and ends. I ran into it yesterday and wondered, if now that I'm married should I get rid of all that stuff?



Last time I was married (18), I threw away all my love letters from childhood thru high school, therefore proving my love for my new husband.
In the end I regretted it. Not the marriage but throwing out pieces of my life and links to my childhood and teen years.

Later on in life at a time when I was single, I did it again. But on my terms, the idea was that I was purging myself and shouldn't think of the past. Once again, I ended up kicking myself. What's wrong with my past? Or for that matter, memories? Good or bad?

After that I promised myself that I wouldn't do it again. For anyone.

Now that I'm married again, even if they are tucked away out of sight in a dusty corner I'm wondering if its appropriate to have them around? Jim tossed out everything that reminded him of his ex before we were married.

Hmmm.......




Famous Love Letters:

Ludwig von Beethoven - July 6, 1806

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - October 17, 1790

King Henry IV of France - June 16, 1593

King Henry VIII to Anne Boleyn - 1528

King Henry VIII - c.1528

John Keats - March 1820

John Keats - (1795 - 1821)

John Keats - Kentish Town, 1820

Catherine of Aragon - 1535

Lord Randolph Churchill - August 1873

Winston Churchill - January 23, 1935

No comments: